The New Normal?

This was written in response to Joan Peterson over at CommonGunsense.com, however she refused to post my comment on her blog so here it is including the portions that I had second thoughts about and deleted from my post. You would probably need to read her blog post in order to put this in context.

Joan, do you honestly think that law-abiding gun owners condone the actions of that horrible story you linked to about “vigilantism gone totally wrong?” You asked “How is it that anything like this is acceptable in our ‘new normal’ world?”  Who said that it was acceptable? Nowhere have I seen any of the “gun guys” say they thought that this was acceptable or normal. Which people with guns justify such murders with some sort of feeling of vigilante justice? You accuse the “gun guys” of jumping to the assumption that you want to ban all their guns but I think that you are jumping to some assumptions here.  Do you really think that we are all just on the edge of killing somebody?

Are “these things are happening now so frequently that they are becoming the ‘new normal’?” can you back up that statement?

I also don’t think anyone said that law-abiding gun owners don’t make mistakes or do anything wrong. I have seen more than one poster on this blog who admit that we are not all perfect and accidents do happen. I think at least the posters here are being very realistic and advocate training and education to help reduce accidents. Guns are simply tools and like all tools they require some safety education and precaution.

I don’t think the Latin terms that Heather used were meant to “stop the debate in its tracks.” The terms were not that obscure or particularly difficult to understand. A quick Google search would have given anyone interested the common definition of the terms. Your claim that “it was way too confusing for little old naive me” does not inspire much confidence your research practices

Joan, you said:

“Moreover, why let the military and police have that many rounds if the average citizen can’t? ( their words, not mine)”

No, Joan, your incorrect interpretation of their words. What has been said here many time is if the police needs full capacity magazines, then why would armed citizens need less to protect themselves?

See the difference?

Next you said:

“Because, you know, those citizens so concerned about their liberty and freedom might need a whole lot of ammunition to fight against those pesky police officers (who get shot because they don’t practice enough and don’t follow safety procedures like the rest of the responsible gun owners- their words, not mine). And fighting the military? Why not?”

Again you misinterpret in your paraphrasing. Who said the law abiding armed citizens would get into a gunfight with the police? Who actually said the words cited above? Where? When?

Then there’s this:

“And those semi-automatic assault rifles? Don’t mess with them. They can be turned into automatics easily.” That is simple untrue. Can it be done? Sometimes. Easily? No.  Legally? No again. What do you base that statement on?

Could you please explain why you have a problem with Utah commemorating the 1911 pistol, invented by John Moses Browning and adopted by the US military to fight for your freedom in WW I and WWII. It remained in use by U.S. troops in Korea, Vietnam and is still in use by some of the Special Forces and many Police Officers in the U.S. today. I think that is a pretty good record, how many other items can you name that have been in use, virtually unchanged since the 1890’s? Utah is proud that one of their own created this freedom and peacekeeping tool.  Why the hate?

I can’t comment on the “Bling… bling… bling..” You didn’t approve the comment and I am not Thomas.  So, I started a blog, with a URL similar to yours. I wasn’t even interested in starting a blog but I was inspired by you and how you misinterpret what the “Gun Guys” say and only pick and choose which comments to approve. That is your right; it is your blog. That’s why I started my own, for an open discussion. And yes, so far all the comments are polite but everyone is welcome and I personally invited you. I don’t want everyone to agree.

“So the new normal is that the minority have become more extreme and vocal in their opinions.” It is only your opinion that we are a minority.

This entry was posted in Common Sense. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to The New Normal?

1. Linoge says:

First up, welcome to the gunblogging community… yours is not the first pro-rights weblog to be started in response to Joan’s authoritarian comment moderation, and I imagine it would not be the last :).

Unfortunately, Joan has a particularly odd perspective on the question of legality and illegality… From her perspective, if people do it, it is legal, and if it is illegal, no one can ever do it. Ever. Suffice to say, that leads to some rather… interesting… miscommunication between her and the few commenters she allows through.

In this specific case, I would imagine that her allegation that “vigilante justice” is the new norm is due to her not seeing every single gunblog in the known universe disavowing the activities, and calling it out for the scummy, disgusting crap it is – since she is not seeing that, she somehow thinks we approve, and goes off on her little tirade. I cannot say as though the thought process makes a whole lot of sense to me, but that is Joan.

Thanks for continuing to try to engage her, though… a lot of us have definitely gotten tired of trying to deal with her, and, as the saying goes, a lie left unchallenged eventually becomes the truth.

• Gail says:

Thanks to all of you for a very warm welcome on my new blog. I just got frustrated with her twisted “logic” and selective choosing of what got posted. So, This is what I did. I’m new to blogging but some of you here know me from the ProArms Podcast. Anyway, I appreciate the warm welcome, the nicest people I ever meet are shooters.

2. Eck! says:

Hello and this is a refreshing start.

I live in the anti-gun utopia of MA. We have may issue license, ID cards to own, or buy and firearms are registered. So what does it mean, Hoops and hurdles to legally own a rifle for target shooting, if the rile is a semiauto I have to have a special higher license and if it holds more than 10 rounds LTC-A. Yet as cause of all pain says we have “gun crime” and not just a little. “Gun Control” doesn’t work! The laws are impossible to follow and convoluted and we have actually seen confiscations for no crime involved.

As to our friend there.. The whole story behind her campaign when fully aired is
    that hiding facts and details that count are a popular game. The cognitive dissonance exhibited is the facts colliding with reality and trying hide from that. Lies in the face of truth are not pretty and the facts are available.

I’m for debate, when they {japete and friends} hide behind moderation, claim education and use snippets feigning no understanding and play the false naivete we are crossing in to something sinister. For debate, if you can’t be honest, there can be no trust. Without that trust there can be no discussion to a good result as I cannot trust those veiled intentions.

Eck!

3. John says:

Hi Gail,

I’ve been moderated there too. Glad to see your blogging here.

4. alcade says:

Just started reading your blog. It really annoys me too how many left wing anti gun sites are heavily moderated, especially when you present a polite cogent argument with a variety of references to back it up.

Keep up the good work!

5. ThomasF says:

I posted the Bling… bling… bling…, the one she used in her post, was the fourth one, in a string of posts that started with my commenting that I did not want the GFW ignored since their presence reminds the pro gun side of the threat to liberty they represent.

Every now and then I send her an email to remind her to keep ringing that bell, is it mean spirited? maybe…. but I would rather have her frothed up agitated bleating wasted on her web-page than doing anything even remotely constructive…

• Gail says:

Thanks Thomas, I’m glad to know we’re not the same person and my Sig-other says he’s glad too. :-)
      I actually had to look up GFW this morning while waiting for a plane but couldn’t sit down to post until now. I see it has already been defined and I like it.
      I thought starting this new blog was mean spirited and I felt a little bad but I got over it because she is the mean spirited one. I like your style.

6. Kim du Toit says:

Welcome, Gail. The more gun blogs that debate the GFWs (gun-fearing wussies*), the merrier. Keep it going.

*Yes, I coined that term, but anyone can/should use it when discussing the Perpetually Fearful.

7. Patrick says:

It is also only her opinion that we are extreme or “more” extreme. I guess from her perspective we are.

Welcome to the blogging community. Good to have another voice.

8. Heather says:

Well done, Gail. It’s fun to see what she censors, isn’t it? She stopped the mala in se discussion by saying that my (unpublished) question asking how she got from not banning magazines to granting gun rights to felons was irrelevant to the conversation.

• Gail says:

Thanks Heather. First you used really scary Latin, then logic, no wonder she didn’t publish your comment. :-) Everyone is free to post their comments she won’t publish here.

9. Pat says:

Thanks for starting this Gail. Joan’s circular logic and BC talking points were getting tiresome.

Its also tiresome that she never goes back when some of her statements are proven false or misleading. Take the whole Mexican gun-running problem. New information has shown that the ATF engaged in various deceptive practices regarding Project Gunrunner…but would Joan ever report that to her “thousands of readers”? No!

She’s not out to get your guns though — wait, what’s this pending legislation? She obviously meant that she, personally, wasn’t out to get your guns. No, she’ll have legislation passed, and then the police will come to get them. Despite her numerous comments to the contrary, she is a friend to hunters like a wolf is friends with a sheep.

Thanks! (I feel better now)

10. Migo says:

The 1911 is the most beautiful pistol I’ve ever seen. You’re going to have to ask the Gun Dudes to take you to Browning’s museum when you’re up there in September. Maybe the next version of their CFP will have a holographic 1911 on it instead of the beehive. Welcome the world of blogging Gail, but please don’t let it interfere with your preditor duties at ProArms.

11. Migo says:

The 1911 is the most beautiful pistol I’ve ever seen. You’re going to have to ask the Gun Dudes to take you to Browning’s museum when you’re up there in September. Maybe the next version of their CFP will have a holographic 1911 on it instead of the beehive. Welcome to the world of blogging Gail, but please don’t let it interfere with your preditor duties at ProArms.

• Gail says:

I will definitely want to see the Browning Museum when we’re in Utah, especially in this 100th anniversary year. I am a little behind in the podcast right now but I have some great interviews coming up. I just did an interview with Graciela Casillas world champion Boxer, Kick-Boxer and Martial Artist, it’s gonna make a great BroadCast.

12. W W Woodward says:

In today’s climate of cultural diversity, political correctness, and progressive thought the accepted response by the progressives to offensive speech or conduct is not logical debate, but censorship. You apparently offended the poor narrow minded disillusioned lady. Her learned response was to ignore, censor and demonize. You apparently made your point.
    [W3]

13. Pat says:

She has now decided that the police shouldn’t carry a magazine over 10 rounds either.

The hole she keeps digging herself into is hilarious.

14. Cargosquid says:

Do you think that Joan will ever realize that we use her comment section as a teaching tool and as an example of the insanity of the gun control crowd?

Well, now she will, I guess, if she reads this…..

• Pat says:

She claims to refuse to read “these blogs”.

• Cargosquid says:

I’ve even sent some people that are leaning pro-gun but have only been exposed to the “common sense” argument. Once there, they’ve told me that now they see the hypocrisy on the gun control side.

I hope Japete never, ever changes…… :)

• Gail says:

That’s why I plan on linking to her blog in every post about her. I don’t use Blogger but I assume they have some method of notifying her of trackbacks.